Father’s Day is coming up and I asked my husband, Chris, what he wants for a celebratory meal. He surprised me with his request for Impossible Burgers, a plant based meat substitute. He is a meat loving type of guy most of the time, although he has never refused to eat any of my roasted veggies (add olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic and he will eat most anything!).
To any aspiring meatless Monday men out there, Chris promises these burgers taste just as good as beef, he actually likes the flavor better, hence his request for his special meal. I understand not all Dads want to celebrate this way, so check out my burger round up from Meal Garden (my recipe and meal planning tool, so all of these are decent from a nutrition perspective), which includes burgers of all kinds!
Salmon Avocado Burgers
- 1 lb Atlantic salmon, wild (skin removed)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (coriander)
- 1 medium Egg
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado(s) Avocado (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Red onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (coriander) (chopped)
- 1 whole lime(s) Lime juice (fresh)
Instructions (for burgers):
- Chop the salmon filet into small pieces (about 1/4 inch) and transfer it into a medium mixing bowl.
- Gently stir in bread crumbs, cilantro, egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a little 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Divide the salmon mixture into 6 and form neat patties. Fry/grill the patties until browned on both sides and just cooked through; about 4 minutes on each side.
Instructions (for the salsa):
- Combine remaining ingredients together and mix well. Garnish patties with a spoonful of salsa.
Turkey Burger Sliders
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 cup, shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 roll Dinner roll, white
- 2 cup shredded Lettuce, loose leaf (for topping)
- 12 bun Mini sandwich bun
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 medium Tomato (sliced, for topping)
- 1 lb Ground turkey, lean
- 2 medium slice(s) White bread
- 1 small Yellow onion (coarsely grated)
- In a food processor, pulse bread until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a medium bowl; add turkey, cheese, and onion. Season with salt and pepper, and mix gently just until combined.
- Form twelve 2-inch patties (about 3 tablespoons each).
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook patties until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve on rolls with lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard, if desired.
Cheddar, Bacon, Mushroom Burgers
- 16 leaves of Lettuce, romaine (or other lettuce)
- 1 C sliced White mushrooms
- 4 T Mayonnaise
- 1/2 small Red onion, diced
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese, sharp
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb ground Beef (organic or grass fed)
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 whole wheat burger buns (I like the ones by Dave’s Killer Bread)
- Make the patties by adding the Worcestershire sauce and onions to the meat, form into 4 equal patties.
- Cut the mushrooms into thin slices
- Cook mushrooms in a pan for about 8 minutes with olive oil
- Cook bacon in the oven until crispy
- Cook the patties on a BBQ or on a pan with ridges for about s for about 4 minutes per side or until the meat is cooked through.
- Serve with lettuce, mayonnaise, cheese, bacon and mushrooms
Content submitted by Jessica Roy, MS, RD, LDN