Smoothies are delicious and nourishing both cold and hot, so try one of the below recipes to warm up on these cold winter days.
Warm Banana, Oat and Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 1T PB2 powder
- 1 C milk of choice (I like this one with vanilla Ripple plant based milk
- ¼ C rolled oats
- 1 small banana, sliced
Warm milk in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave. Use a small amount of the warmed milk and add to blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour remaining warm milk over blended ingredients and transfer to a mug or glass. Garnish with shaved chocolate for an added indulgence or simply enjoy!
Hot Orange, Carrot & Ginger Smoothie
- 4 oz fresh squeezed orange juice or 100% orange juice from the carton (I was strapped for time so used the store bought variety)
- 1.5 cups hot water (I boiled mine then let stand for 2 minutes)
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 T fresh lemon juice (or from the bottle also ok if short on time)
- 1 T honey
- ¼ C cold water
Combine cold water, orange and lemon juices, ginger, carrot, and honey in a blender. Carefully add ½ C of hot water (no burns please!) and blend until well incorporated. Finally add the rest of the hot liquid and then pour into a glass or mug.
Content submitted by: Jessica Roy MS RD LDN