When the summer heat and humidity kicks in, no one likes to turn up the temperature in the kitchen by turning on the stove or the oven. Why not try something different that is cool and refreshing for lunch or dinner on a hot summer day, like a chilled soup. These soups require no cooking at all and come together quickly. What’s even better is that you don’t need mad knife skills to chop up the ingredients, since they’ll all be processed in the blender or food processor. You’ll get a quick, nutritious, and delicious meal on the table in no time, leaving you more time to savor the summer!
Smooth and Creamy Dairy-Free Cucumber Soup (makes 2 servings)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and rough chopped
- 1 medium avocado, pit removed, diced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Place the chopped cucumber in a blender with the flesh of the avocado. Add the diced jalapeño, lemon juice, broth, salt and pepper and process until smooth. Chill the soup in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight.
Fresh Garden Gazpacho (makes 4 servings)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 large tomatoes, cored and seeded
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional if you like a bit of heat
- Cilantro and avocado for garnish, optional
Chop all vegetables, including the onion and garlic, into large pieces, removing seeds from peppers and tomatoes. Add peppers and onion to the bowl of a large food processor or blender and pulse until rough chopped. Add chopped cucumber and pulse again. Add chopped, seeded tomatoes and blend for 10-20 seconds. Add parsley through cumin and process until well blended into thick, chunky soup consistency. The soup will have a rough texture. Place in a large bowl or container and stir to mix ingredients thoroughly. Season to taste to your liking.
Chill soup in the refrigerator for approximately 4 hours or overnight, this soup tastes best when left flavors are left to marinate. You may top with fresh, chopped cilantro, and diced avocado, before serving.
Fresh Melon Soup (makes 4 servings)
- 2 cantaloupes
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, plus additional for serving
- Mint sprigs for garnish, optional
Wash and dry the rind of the cantaloupes and cut melons in half. Remove fruit from rind with a spoon or melon baller and place in blender. Add ginger, nutmeg, lemon zest, honey, and Greek yogurt. Blend to until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate soup for four hours until ready to serve. Top with fresh mint sprigs and a dollop of Greek yogurt if desired.
Content submitted by Janyce Gately MS, RD, LDN, CHWC