Here are some quick and easy dessert recipes to make all season long. These sweet treats feature summer fruit and are perfect for parties, cookouts or anytime you’re looking for something sweet.
– 2 cups cut-up summer fruit (such as raspberries, strawberries, mango, peaches, watermelon)
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Place the fruit of your choice in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons water. Add sugar and lemon juice. Cover and blend until well mixed. Pour into 4 oz. popsicle molds or paper cups, insert sticks. Freeze until solid. Makes 4 servings.
Fruit Yogurt Bark
– 1 32-ounce container of low sugar Vanilla Yogurt (such as Two Good or Siggi’s)
– 2 cups of berries, i.e., sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour yogurt over the parchment paper and spread evenly. Top yogurt with berries, arranged throughout the yogurt. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and allow to freeze for approximately 4 hours. Break the bark into pieces and store in a freezer safe container.
Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
– 2 large bananas, peeled
– 1/4 cup of dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 1/4 cup of nut butter of your choice (almond, peanut, cashew)
Cut peeled bananas into 2-inch chunks. In a small pan, heat nut butter and chocolate chips until melted, stir until smooth and combined. Alternately, you may melt the nut butter and chocolate in the microwave in a bowl.
Dip the banana chunks into the chocolate mixture until the banana is covered with chocolate. Place the dipped banana onto a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper lined plate. Continue dipping the rest of the banana chunks into the chocolate mixture.
Transfer the plate of bananas to the freezer for an hour until they are set. Once set, place the chunks in a freezer safe container and allow them to properly freeze overnight.
– 1/2 pound of fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
– 12 ounces soft silken tofu
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 tablespoons honey
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Divide the mousse among 4 small ramekins and chill for 2 hours. Garnish with additional sliced strawberries and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Content submitted by Janyce Gately – MS, RD, LDN, CHWC